United States, Alabama, Muscle Shoals
October 26th, 2022
Sets up and operates conventional lathes, vertical and horizontal boring mills, Portable machining equipment, CNC lathes and Vertical Mills machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts by performing the following duties. Read blueprints and schematic drawings to determine work procedures. Dismantle machinery or equipment using proper hand tools and equipment. Work within precise limits or standards of accuracy.
Specific Key Accountabilities
- Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished workpiece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
- Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work-piece as guides for subsequent machining as necessary.
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines as necessary to machine parts as required.
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media according to established guidelines and procedures.
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine as required.
- Verifies conformance of finished work-piece to specifications, using measuring and inspection tools as necessary.
- Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
- Performs routine maintenance tasks on machines as required.
- Align machines and equipment using hoists, jacks, hand tools squares, rules micrometers, laser
- Confers with engineers, production personnel, maintenance technicians or others to resolve machining or assembly problems
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with co-workers and management.
- Continue to learn machinist and maintenance knowledge and use the tools to identify and assist with continuous improvement.
- Ensure that safe work practices are followed and adhered to.
Leadership competencies, technical skills requirement
- High school education or equivalent; technical degree in a related field or Journeyman’s card preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in conventional type machining environment and/or roll grinding
- Demonstrated ability to perform mechanical, electrical, or instrument work
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic arithmetic functions and interpret drawings, graphs, blueprints, and safety rules and regulations